Thursday, January 5, 2012

Our First Cherries of the Season




Cherries are now in season in New Zealand. They have been available since before Christmas in Early December with the price tag of $29.99 a kilo but they were not as good as they are in January. In the first week of January they are selling at $21.99 a kilo which is more reasonable and they can be even yet cheaper later in the season. I bought our first cherries of the season yesterday and they were yummy. Cherries will be available up until mid February so I will have several more weeks to enjoy them.

Cherries are grown mainly in the South Island especially in Central Otago and a small percentage in Hawke’s Bay in the North Island. The growers pray every year that it would not rain before picking as the fruits could split.

I like to have cherries fresh but I might find some way to have them in my pudding. Cherry Clafouti sounds quite interesting and of course I will share the recipe here if it turns out successfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment