Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Fish Pie with Lime Zest


I didn't like fish when I was young but when I get older (and older) I find fish is good for my tummy although I prefer pan fried fish more than steamed or poached. I don't normally 'love' fish pie - but lime zest gives this pie a lift and I have to say that I have become to love it a bit.

300 grams white firm fish flesh, skin removed
1 1/2 cups milk
1 bay leaf
4 black peppercorns
¼ cup frozen peas, microwave for about 1 minute
¼ cup flour minus 1 teaspoon
40 grams butter + 1 tablespoon canola oil
¼ teaspoon mustard powder
Zest of one lime (or lemon)
Salt & pepper
1 cup mashed potato (I use potato and carrot mash), seasoned

Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees C.

Place fish in a saucepan - add milk, pepper corns and bay leave. Bring to the boil and reduce the heat – simmer gently until it is cooked (about 4-5 minutes). Strain the fish, discard bay leave and pepper corns, break into small pieces and set aside – reserve the milk. Add water to the milk to make up to 1 ½ cup liquid.

Melt butter in the pan with canola oil, when it’s getting frothy add flour. Fry quickly for 30-40 seconds. Remove from heat then add milk, 1/3 at a time – keep whisking to get smooth texture. Return to heat – add mustard and stir. Cook further until the sauce bubbles and thickened.  Add seasoning and lime zest.

Spoon half of the sauce into baking dish, layer with fish and peas and then cover with second half of the sauce. Let it cool down a little bit before topping with mashed potato. Use the fork to make ridge patterns on top. Bake for about 40 minutes. Serve warm. 


I am going to have a short winter break for a few days and escape to the warmth. Hopefully will start some interesting posts by next Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment